Wednesday 4 January 2012

New Year's Resolutions 2012

Happy new year!

Those of you paying attention will notice that, here at Inane Ramblings, things are kicking off in a similar fashion to last year: with new year's resolutions.

First, I think we should take a look back at my resolutions for 2011 to see how I fared. I should probably mention that, prior to starting this bloglet, I had completely forgotten my resolutions for last year. Not a great start.

1. "Attain QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)"
Managed that one. Just. (By the skin of my teeth judging by my final placement.) Anyway, the important thing is that I got it and am qualified to teach the National Curriculum to children up to the age of 11. Woot.

2. "Know more stuff"
Bit of a vague one there, Becky of 2011. Not really sure how to gauge whether I achieved that one. I don't feel particularly more knowledgable than I did twelve months ago, but I find it doubtful that I've managed to exist for an entire year without absorbing at least some new knowledge.
As I'm feeling generous I shall award myself half a point. I don't think I often actively learnt something new, but I must know more than I did last year ... surely?

3. "Be able to cook"
I learnt how to fillet mackrel. Does that count?
Nil points.

4. "Read more"
Feeling fairly confident about this one, actually. I kept a list of all the books I read last year (before you say it, list-making is an entirely normal thing to do and not at all a sign of mild OCD) and managed to get through a total of 15. Clearly this is nowhere near the number my mother or sister will have read, but the pace at which they speed through books is actually ridiculous. On 3rd January, for example, Sarah happily announced, "I've read two books this year". Have you, Sarah? Have you? Well that's just marvellous. I'm on page 4.
I'm actually rather proud of how much I was able to read last year, and if 15 books doesn't sound like that many, try doing a PGCE at the same time. Then we'll talk.

5. "Win the lottery"
Would probably have been more achievable if I had bought a lottery ticket.
Nil points.

2.5 out of 5 - not a particularly good success rate, which is why this year I have chosen new year's resolutions which I think I will actually be able to acheive.

1. Keep a weekly blog.
Exactly what it says on the tin - I want to be able to look back at 2012 and see that I have added a new blog entry at least 52 times.

2. Learn 12 new songs on the ukulele.
One new song, every month. Entirely do-able methinks. If I work out how to post a video on here I may even treat you to clips of my musical endeavours.

3. Learn how to knit.
My grandma, aunt, mum and sister can all knit and whenever I hear them talking about it, it literally sounds like a different language to me. This year will be the year that I learn that language. I might even progress further than being able to knit a scarf this time.

So those are my new year's resolutions for 2012. What are yours? How did you do last year?

No comments:

Post a Comment